Construction of the class began in 1928, being based, with detail differences, on the highly successful 1924 rebuild of ‘Saint’ class No 2925 ‘Saint Martin’. In that rebuild the driving wheel diameter was reduced from 6' 81/2" and a modern cab fitted. Construction of 80 ‘Hall’ class engines was initially authorised. After February 1943. No 6959 onwards were produced to a redesign by Collett's successor F. W. Hawksworth, these are known as ‘Modified Halls’.
A total of 330 ‘Hall’ class engines were built, right up to 1950. One of the originals, 4911 ‘Bowden Hall’ was destroyed by a direct hit by a bomb at Plymouth in 1941 - its crew, having sheltered underneath, surviving.
5900 ‘Hinderton Hall’ was built at Swindon in 1931. She spent much of her life in the West Country, being one of several which received boiler improvements before withdrawal, from Bristol, in 1963.
One of the lucky engines sent to Woodham Bros of Barry for scrapping, she was rescued by a Society member and brought to Didcot in June 1971, fully restored by 1976, and saw considerable service again, on the main line as well as at Didcot. She is now on static display, and will no doubt steam again after she has reached the head of the overhaul queue.