As long ago as 1901 the traffic department of the Great Western asked for this type of locomotive. It was a very long time in coming, although the 'Halls' and 'Granges' filled the need except that they suffered route restrictions due to their heavier weight.
The first twenty 'Manors', built before world war two, incorporated the wheels and motion of withdrawn 43XX class engines. The last ten were built by BR in 1950. The 'Manors' were originally allocated to various English depots, but in 1943 several were transferred to the North Wales area, being the first modern passenger engines seen there.
Detail design modifications over the years have greatly improved the performance of the class. Their light weight makes them ideal for use in preservation: no fewer than eight have survived.
7808 is the only 'Manor' obtained directly on withdrawal by BR. Bought by a Society member in 1965, it ran from Gloucester depot in steam to Ashchurch, where it was based with 6697, until they both came to Didcot in 1970. A very sprightly member of its class and held in high regard by crews, before withdrawal it had, very unusually for its class, been fitted with a larger 4,000 gallon tender. 'Cookham Manor' has seen considerable main line use on special trains organised by the Society, but currently has 'static' preservation status.
Click on any of the pictures on this page for a larger version.
|Wheel Arrangement||4 - 6 - 0|
|Cylinders||(2) 18 x 30 inches|
|Driving wheel diameter||5 feet 8 inches|
|Tractive Effort||27,340 pounds|
|Weight||108 tons 18cwt.|
|Coal Capacity||6 Tons|
|Water Capacity||3,500 gallons|
|Boiler type||Standard No. 14|
|Boiler pressure||225 lbs/sq in|
|Barrel maximum dia.||5 feet 3 inches|
|Barrel length||12 feet 6 inches|
|Area of firegrate||22.1 sq ft|
|Heating surfaces, firebox||140 sq ft|
|Heating surfaces, tubes||1285.5 sq ft|
|Superheater Area||160 sq ft|