5900Built: 19314-6-0 - “Hinderton Hall”
5900 - 21st April 2000

Construction of the class began in 1928, being based, with detail differences, on the highly successful 1924 rebuild of 'Saint' class No 2925 'Saint Martin'. In that rebuild the driving wheel diameter was reduced from 6' 81/2" and a modern cab fitted. Construction of 80 'Hall' class engines was initially authorised. After February 1943. No 6959 onwards were produced to a redesign by Collett's successor F. W. Hawksworth, these are known as 'Modified Halls'.

A total of 330 'Hall' class engines were built, right up to 1950. One of the originals, 4911 'Bowden Hall' was destroyed by a direct hit by a bomb at Plymouth in 1941 - its crew, having sheltered underneath, surviving.

5900, 'Hinderton Hall' was built at Swindon in 1931. It spent much of its life in the West Country, being one of several which received boiler improvements before withdrawal, from Bristol, in 1963.

One of the lucky engines sent to Woodham Bros of Barry for scrapping, it was rescued by a Society member and brought to Didcot in June 1971, fully restored by 1976, and saw considerable service again, on the main line as well as at Didcot. It is now on static display, and will no doubt steam again after it has reached the head of the overhaul queue.

5900 - 8th March 1964 5900 - 21st April 2000

Click on any of the pictures on this page for a larger version.

Specifications
Wheel Arrangement 4 - 6 - 0
Cylinders (2) 18.5 x 30 inches
Driving wheel diameter 6 feet 0 inches
Tractive Effort 27,275 pounds
Weight 114 tons
Coal Capacity 6 Tons
Water Capacity 4,000 gallons
Route Availability Red
Power Class D
Boiler type Standard No. 1
Boiler pressure 225 lbs/sq in
Barrel maximum dia. 5 feet 6 inches
Barrel length 14 feet 10 inches
Area of firegrate 27.1 sq ft
Heating surfaces, firebox 155 sq ft
Heating surfaces, tubes 1687 sq ft
Superheater Area 263 sq ft
   
CURRENT STATUS: Static Display

 

Page last updated:25-Aug-2015