08 604Built: 1959“Phantom”

 

08 604

08 604 was shedded at Tyseley near Birmingham where a certain Simon Grego was a fitter, the engine became well known as it had been painted in full BR lined out green. She was purchased from BR and the owner was looking for a place to keep it. Enter once again Simon, he organised the engine to be loaned to the GWS and brought to Didcot. Once at Didcot she required an extensive overhaul. One of the wheelsets had to be exchanged and the traction motor repaired, the engine had seized and had to be freed up and the cab was devoid of fittings which meant a partial re-wire.

The locomotive spent some time in a fictitious black war department livery with the number WD40, and then in the 'Tyseley' BR lined out green, but in August 2010 she was repainted into an earlier plain green livery.

She is now used on non-open days for shunting the yard at Didcot Railway Centre and sometimes helps out during open days, shunting the TPO.

Click on any of the pictures on this page for a larger version.

CURRENT STATUS: Operational

 

Page last updated:05-Jul-2015