The Great Western Echo
The Great Western Echo is sent quarterly to all members of the Great Western Society.
Submitting Material for the Great Western Echo
The GW Echo is a full colour quality magazine, the layout design and content having been recently redesigned on a format that has been received with general approval by readers of all kinds. In order to maximise the effectiveness of their submissions contributors should follow the procedure set out below.
Submission and Publication Dates
Information for Contributors
- All material, other than events information and small ads (See Item 3), should be submitted directly to the editor, Les Summers. Material can be submitted as follows:
The cut off date for submission of material is the last possible time for receipt by the editor of material for the next magazine. Les is often at Didcot, on the gate or for other reasons, and is happy to support DRC departmental reporters with their contributions either by
taking notes from which to write up a report or to photograph some aspect of work in progress. For this purpose only he will take telephone calls at home: 01869 331790 (10.30 - 1500 and after 1700). Obviously preliminary notice is helpful.
Information about Group events for the Diary should be e-mailed to Terry McCarthy (email@example.com). Small advertisements should be e-mailed to Viv Cooper (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Leave with Pat Bosley in the office or hand it directly to Les Summers when he is on the gate.
- Send it the editor's home address: 46 St Johns Road, Tackley, Kidlington, OX5 3AP. Hard copy will only be returned if a stamped addressed envelope is enclosed.
Email it to: email@example.com This is the preferred means of contact. Photographs and pictures can also be emailed, please note that the minimum size should be 300dpi allied with a 6” x 4” physical size. Illustrations should be sent in .pdf, .jpg, .tiff or photoshop format but please do not send illustrations in Publisher. Text should be in Word, Appleworks, Neoffice or Open Office format. Material on CD-R is also acceptable.
Contributions of Articles about matters other than Didcot Railway Centre current activity eg: Historical Articles.
- The Echo’s area of interest covers any aspect of the GWR or BR(W) or any directly related subject, eg. GWR
influence on other railways, including foreign organisations. Any aspect of Didcot, the past, current events or future
plans and possibilities and articles about local railway personalities or those currently involved at Didcot are always
welcome. Please aim for 2000 word maximum and no multiple part articles please. Brevity is better than complexity!
Please note that contributions of copyright material must be cleared before hand with the copyright holder, regrettably
we cannot fund reproduction fees.
- Contributors of historical articles should source reference important statements throughout their work.
A simple system of numbering a particular item and noting the reference at its end will suffice.
More information about submissions, in particular regarding formatting, style, and referencing is available (68kb .pdf document)