9635Built: 1935Collett 'Centenary Diner'

Diagram H.43, Lot No. 1540

9635 -

One of two kitchen first Restaurant cars included in the special trains built for the 'Cornish Riviera Limited' in the GWR centenary year of 1935, this is the only centenary vehicle to survive.

The unusual 9' 7” width of the vehicle maximises comfort inside but necessitated recessing of the doors. The kitchen is virtually in its original condition apart from the substitution of an electric fan for the venturi extractor originally fitted and the conversion from oil-gas to propane cooking.

The dining saloon was completely updated by Hamptons in 1947. Prior to this the original full width lowering windows had been replaced by fixed lights and sliding ventilators of a shallow pattern in 1938. After the war these coaches saw service on most main line services including Newbury Race Specials.

The Carriage was purchased for preservation in 1963 and was moved to the Dowty Railway Preservation Society at Ashchurch in Gloucestershire - then under the same ownership was relocated to Toddington on the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway. The Great Western Society bought the vehicle in 1989 and moved it to Didcot.

9635 - 10th April 2005

 

Page last updated:27-Oct-2007