Diagram G.60, Lot No. 1471
This coach is one of eight Super Saloons built by the GWR to run between Paddington and Plymouth in connection with the transatlantic liner services. As was fitting for coaches used for such prestigious trains all were named after members of the Royal Family. When Southampton became the major transatlantic port, boat trains to Plymouth declined. As a result the saloons had to be found alternative work befitting heir status and were often seen on special trains from Paddington to Newbury Racecourse in connection with race days as well as being used by private parties.
Three of these coaches were preserved by the GWS in 1967 and subsequently moved to Didcot in 1976.
The second of eight built, "Mary" was one of two fitted out internally by contractors Trollope & Co. fitted out in French polished light french walnut, with book-matched burr veneer panels on the interior sliding doors, the largely untouched interior (although tired and showing damp damage in places) bears witness to a level of craftsmanship rarely seen these days. There are plans to restore this vehicle, but it is likely to be last in the queue behind 9113 and 9118.