3756Built: 1921Churchward Non-Corridor Brake Third

Diagram D.62, Lot No. 1275

3756 -

The twin of No. 3755, but substantially as withdrawn from service on the Glyncorrwg Branch where both vehicles were used on Miners' trains to and from the pit. There are no plans to restore this vehicle at present.

The coach was built in 1921 for suburban services into Paddington and on the Metropolitan Railway around Moorgate. The 'City Service' via the Metropolitan Railway ceased in 1939.

In 1957 the coach, along with No. 3755 and one other vehicle were stripped internally and converted for use by miners. Propane gas lighting was fitted in 1960.

In 1964 both 3756 and 3755 were purchased for preservation, initially at Bridgnorth on the Severn Valley Railway and later at Didcot.

3755 and 3756 at Newton Abbot Power Station

Click on any of the pictures on this page for a larger version.

 

Page last updated:19-Aug-2012